Middle School Online Resource Center - 8th Grade
- Click here for more middle school projects: 6th Grade Projects, 7th Grade Projects
- Get all your students on this page.
- Google Lesson Plans: Click on "Famous Inventors", "Cyber-bullying" or "Graphs Review" to use the online guide. Click other projects to request a Preview.
- Keyboarding: Set up free Typing.com accounts. Students should start each class by keyboarding. Ideally they will also use this program at home.
- Cyber Safety: The Cyber Safety page provides access to Cyber Safety Pledges and age appropriate videos. There are also come projects.
- STEM: Use the STEM page, Scratch and TinkerCAD.
- Curriculum Enrichment: Excellent sites for Math, Science, Social Studies and Language.
- Seasonal Sites and Projects: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Black History, Presidents, Basketball, Spring, more
Once students are on the Online Resource Center page for their grade, they simply need to click on the name of the lesson to access the handout, projects template, sample, and links to the recommended websites. There are more technology integration lessons and projects available for each 8th grade than students will be able to complete in a school year.
8th Grade Technology Overview
Eighth grade students continue to practice proper keyboarding using the intermediate to advanced lessons in Typing.com. Students also take and track 3-minute typing tests each month. Students continue to use expand their skills in using the Google search engine by completing a set of specific searching challenges throughout the year. Some student projects will require using more than one Google Application. Students begin to work toward mastery of Word Processing as they review skills they have learned. The emphasis in Google Slides is to use a presentations as “note cards” for a speeches (presentations) they will be giving in class. Students review their spreadsheet skills as they solve more challenging research and calculation problems. They continue to review the creation of charts and graphs. Students use Google Drawings to create NCAA Basketball pairings in March. Students continue to learn advanced techniques in Computer Aided Design using TinkerCAD. Students use Google Sites to create their own comprehensive site on a selected topic. They create a complete presentation of the World’s Most Beautiful castles using Google Tour Builder. They will reinforce intermediate to advanced level programming with Python and Java. They will practice their coding skills during the Hour of Code which is a worldwide event held during the first week of December each year. Students will learn to create a Movie with custom music using Animoto. Students will learn to create a research-based quiz with both images and videos using Kahoot.
Eighth grade students use specific math, language arts, social studies, science and STEM games during curriculum skills enrichment time. They will also learn simple programming and practice their coding skills during the Hour of Code which is a worldwide event held during the first week of December each year. In addition to the Hour of Code students learn a progression of coding and programming skills by accessing tutorials from our STEM Page. The STEM page provides links to programming tutorials for Beginners up to Advanced Level. There are also direct links to Scratch.
8th Grade Sample Lesson Overview
- Provide all your students easy access to this page
- Place a shortcut on the desktops; change the icon to a yellow star (click here for help with this)
- Add an assignment or question on Google Classroom with a link to this page (click here for help with this)
- Clearly post your expectations for behavior
- Typing Web
- All students should login to their free account
- Typing Tests
- Students should take 3-minute tests each month using the FREE Typing Test program
- Google Lesson Plan: Curriculum-based project with
- Google Documents
- Google Slides
- Google Sheets
- STEM Page or Enrichment
We provide lesson plan overviews and detailed lesson plans for the entire year.